Advertisement

Actor Mithun to return money received from Saradha chit fund

01:41 AM Jun 01, 2019 | Free Press Journal Correspondant

Kolkata : Bollywood biggie – Mithun Chakraborty has agreed to return the money he received from Saradha – the infamous chit fund that robbed thousands off their hard earn money. The development comes after the actor was grilled by the Enforcement Directorate.

According to sources, the TMC MP was questioned earlier this week at the fortified guest house of a central police organisation where his statement was recorded under the provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).

Advertisement
Advertisement

During the recording of statement, sources said, Chakraborty provided the agency sleuths with a number of DVDs, CDs and scripts that he had got as part of being the brand ambassador of the Saradha group.

Advertisement

“The actor told the investigators that his association with the Saradha group was purely professional and that he had no intentions of cheating or duping anyone.He said he had no inkling about any sort of scam being perpetrated. The actor submitted all his personal and official records to the agency in this regard,” the sources said.

The actor, during the about three-hour questioning, also told the investigators that he would deposit the amount of less than Rs 2 crore he had received to be finally restored to the depositors alleged to have been cheated in this scam.

The Rajya Sabha MP of the ruling party in West Bengal, as per information accessed by PTI, told the ED that he “actually acted in promotional videos and advertisements that were broadcast on television shows” made by the Saradha group and this was done as per his contract.

He told investigators that if he had bad intentions, he would not have done the promotional activity and instead would have stashed the money. Sources said Chakraborty after submitting the documents and recording his statement also talked to a top ED official in Kolkata “assuring all help in the future.”

“The agency is satisfied with the version that the actor has given and it well corroborates with the investigations done till now by sleuths in this case.It is expected that he would not be required to depose any further in his case,” they said.

( To view our epaper please Tap here . For all the latest News, Mumbai, Entertainment, Cricket, Business and Featured News updates, visit Free Press Journal. Also, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and do like our Facebook page for continuous updates on the go)

(To view our epaper please Read Now. For all the latest News, Mumbai, Entertainment, Cricket, Business and Featured News updates, visit Free Press Journal. Also, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and do like our Facebook page for continuous updates on the go)

Advertisement