Pratap Singh I, who was popularly known as Maharana Pratap, was the Hindu King of Mewar. Maharana Pratap Jayanti is celebrated to commemorate the King's birthday.
This year, Maharana Pratap Jayanti falls on June 13, 2021.
Here are some interesting facts about Maharana Pratap:
1. Maharana Pratap was born into a Hindu Rajput family.
2. He was married to Ajabde Punwar of Bijolia. He had married 10 other women and was survived by 17 children including Amar Singh I.
3. Maharana Pratap was titled as "Mewari Rana" and was notable for his military resistance against the expansionism of the Mughal Empire. He was known for his participation in the Battle of Haldighati and Battle of Dewair.
4. Maharana Pratap's court at Chanvand had given shelter to many poets, artists, writers and artisans.Maharana Pratap vs Akbar: Who won the Battle of Haldighati?
5. Reportedly, he died after sustaining injuries in an accident at Chavand on January 19, 1597, at the age of 56.
6. He was succeeded by his eldest son, Amar Singh I.
7. On his death bed, Pratap told his son never to submit to the Mughals and to win Chittor back.
8. Maharana Pratap is a prominent figure in both folk and contemporary Rajasthani culture and is viewed as a celebrated warrior in that state, as well as in India.
9. In 2007, a statue of Maharana Pratap was unveiled in the Parliament of India.
Maharana Pratap Jayanti stands as a symbol of heroism, the spirit of freedom, pride and valour exhibited by the Mewar King in his life.Maharana Pratap Jayanti 2020: What was the relationship between the legendary Rajput king and Mughal emperor Akbar?
(To receive our E-paper on whatsapp daily, please click here. We permit sharing of the paper's PDF on WhatsApp and other social media platforms.)