Advertisement

Formula 1 renews deal with Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya until 2026

01:01 PM Nov 27, 2021 | FPJ Web Desk

Less than three weeks after extending its contract with the Chinese Grand Prix, in a move that will keep the championship coming to Shanghai until 2025, Formula 1 has renewed its deal with the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya until 2026.

As part of the deal, the organisers of the race will have to improve the track and the facilities. The circuit was first used by Formula 1 in 1991, ahead of the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona.

Advertisement
Advertisement

However, ahead of the race in 2022 -- set to take place on May 22 -- several upgrades will be made to the track and the facilities, which will contribute to the circuit's ambitious sustainability plans.

Advertisement

Speaking of the contract renewal for the track where Great Britain's Lewis Hamilton won a thrilling battle with Red Bull's Max Verstappen earlier this year, F1 president and CEO Stefano Domenicali said on Friday evening that, “We are delighted to announce this deal with Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.

“I want to thank the promoter and the authorities for their enthusiasm and commitment to keeping Formula 1 in Barcelona, with improvements that will be made to the track and facilities, and continuing our long history together,” Domenicali was quoted as saying by formula1.com.

“The teams and drivers always look forward to racing at the circuit and visiting Barcelona, and the Spanish fans will continue to see their national heroes, Fernando Alonso and Carlos Sainz up close,” he said.

(To view our epaper please Read Now. For all the latest News, Mumbai, Entertainment, Cricket, Business and Featured News updates, visit Free Press Journal. Also, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and do like our Facebook page for continuous updates on the go)

Advertisement