Advertisement

SBI has Rs 4,500 cr exposure in telecos hit by SC ruling: DMD

05:55 AM Jun 02, 2019 |

New Delhi

Country’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) today said it has an exposure of Rs 4,500 crore in the telecom companies whose licences have been cancelled by the Supreme C

ourt in connection with 2 G scam.

Advertisement
Advertisement

The other lenders including Punjab National Bank, Corporation Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce too have exposure in these telecom companies.
   
"I don’t think we will be affected much by the the verdict. We have a fund-based exposure of Rs 1,100 crore in five accounts, while another Rs 3,400 crore are non-fund based, which is based on a guarantee of roll-out. Now that the licences are cancelled that guarantee is not fulfilled," SBI Deputy Managing Director (DMD) Santosh Nair said.
   
"For the Rs 1,100 crore, all the accounts are from corporate houses with whom we have long term relationships. The corporate house behind the licencee will help us or we also expect them to bid again at the time of the new auctions, which can secure our funds," Nair said.
   
Meanwhile, another large public sector lender Punjab National Bank (PNB) said its exposure for roll out under 2G is limited to Rs 508 crore. However, the bank had not given any loan for seeking licence.
   
PNB has total exposure of Rs 10,923 crore towards telecom sector. Of this, the bank’s exposure to government sector is Rs 1,016 crore, the bank said in a statement.
   
It also said Rs 173 crore is fully secured by bank’s deposits.
   
Country’s largest private sector lender, ICICI Bank, said it is unaffected from the cancellation of 2G licences.
   
"ICICI Bank does not have any exposure at risk on account  of cancellation of 2G licenses," the bank spokesperson said.
   
However, state-owned Corporation Bank said it has exposure of Rs 146 crore in one of the telecos hit by order.
   
"We have Rs 146 crore exposure to Videocon Mobile. Though it is a secured funding we are a bit worried as to how it will pan out post the Supreme Court verdict," Corporation Bank Chairman and Managing Director Ajay Kumar said.
   
"We have to review the account in the light of this development though this has been a standard asset so far," Kumar said.
   
Even Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC) said the bank had disbursed loans to telecos whose licences have been cancelled.
   
Loans have been given to all leading players. However, there are some concerns on the loans given, a senior official of OBC said.
   
According to Indian Overseas Bank Chairman and Managing Director M Narendra, the bank do not have exposure in these telecom companies.
   
"We have got exposure of 1.21 per cent of total loans in telecom sector including telecom infrastructure," Narendra said, adding, the bank has sanctioned Rs 2,200 crore to telecom sector.

Advertisement

Following the Supreme Court order, Bank of Baroda said that the bank did not fund affected telecom companies.
   
"We have not funded any of the 2G licence holders," Bank of Baroda Executive Director R K Bakshi said.
   
Even Axis Bank said the bank does not have any exposure to companies for acquisition of the 2G licenses or for the rollout of services on these licenses.
   
Another private sector lender, IndusInd Bank, also said it has not disbursed loans to telecom companies named in the order.
   
Earlier during the day, the Supreme Court cancelled 122 2G spectrum licences granted by former telecom minister A Raja on the ground that they were

( To view our epaper please Tap here . For all the latest News, Mumbai, Entertainment, Cricket, Business and Featured News updates, visit Free Press Journal. Also, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and do like our Facebook page for continuous updates on the go)

(To view our epaper please Read Now. For all the latest News, Mumbai, Entertainment, Cricket, Business and Featured News updates, visit Free Press Journal. Also, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and do like our Facebook page for continuous updates on the go)

Advertisement

Trending :